Since I needed some sort of celebratory treat this week I decided to try a recipe from my Vegan Cupcake book! In this book they offer an assortment of cake batters, followed by a variety of icing and topping choices, this way you can pick and choose the what fits your taste.
(derived from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
2/3 soy milk (I used Very Vanilla Silk Milk)
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup light agave nectar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners
2. Mix soy milk and apple cider vinegar in bowl, allow to sit for a few minutes to curdle. Mix in remainder of ingredients (agave, oil, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla and almond extracts. Sift in flour and mix well. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes. (Don’t over bake or cupcake will be dry). Cool at least an hour before topping with icing!
This book offers many flavors of homemade icings and toppings for the cupcakes. Today (and most days) I was craving a bit of chocolate, so I decided on the Chocolate Mouse Topping!
Chocolate Mousse Topping
1 package (1 ounce) extra-film silken tofu
¼ cup plain soy milk
2 tablespoons agave syrup/maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package semisweet (VEGAN) chocolate chips
1. Crumble tofu into blender. Add soy milk, agave, and vanilla. Puree completely. Set aside.
2. In a double broiler, melt the chocolate chips. (What if I don’t have a double broiler?)
3. Add the chocolate to the tofu and blend until combined, use the spatula to scrape the sides of blender.
4. Transfer the mousse to an airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Chill for one hour before topping cupcakes.