Spicy BBQ Chickpea Burgers
Ingredients (about 8 patties)
- 1 cup dry/uncooked chickpeas (or 2 & 1/4 cups cooked chickpeas)
- ½ cup dry quinoa (1 ¼ cup cooked)
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, or more as needed
- 2-3 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Fine grain sea salt, to taste
1. Prepare the quinoa by cooking according to package. Drain and rinse chickpeas.
2. Finely chop the garlic, both peppers, and onion (this can also be done in a food processor) and grate the carrot.
3. In a food processor or blender, pulse the quinoa and chickpeas until well combined. In a large bowl, combined chickpea mixture, veggies, sunflower seeds, BBQ sauce and ground flax seed.
4. Add salt and red pepper flakes, to taste.
5. Form 6-8 patties and pack dough together tightly, if there are enough hungry people around to devour them. (If not I made to order, and kept the remainder of the mix in the fridge until ready for more.)
6. You can cook these in a skillet or in the oven. Place on skillet 7-10 minutes until golden brown, then flip and brown other side. (You can also cook in the oven an additional 10-15 minutes in oven at 475, if desire. Add your choice of toppings (avocado, tomato, and an extra dap of BBQ sauce are all great choices), serve, and enjoy!